I’ve been trying to finish the final song for our upcoming record. In three short weeks the band and I will be going into the studio to track the album live. It’s coming down to the wire, but I couldn’t be more excited. I think it’s safe to say you can expect some of the normal twangy Americana, but also look for some new ground to be covered. All in all, it’s been a busy week and I’m feeling the pressure of deadlines.

We’ve also been working on some rearranging and redecorating here at home base. Framing and hanging lonely pictures that have been waiting for their moment of display for years, repurposing old furniture, rearranging rooms as if they were strategic chess pieces. It is all fresh and new, even though we only used stuff that we already had. I’ve long been in favor of the idea of repurposing and rearranging.

I finally realized this idea also applies to the song I’ve been working on: Something about the song felt incomplete, and I wasn’t having any luck remedying that situation. I’m working under a deadline, so I can’t really afford to let things sit. In the case of this song, I was starting to feel like I needed to scrap the song and start on something completely fresh. I had given up, but then Kit started playing the parts of the song in a different order. Chorus became bridge, instrumental verse became chorus, and so on. I closed my eyes and listened intently. Suddenly the song started to take shape.

It feels more complete, and now I have something to really work with. I’m still tweaking the minor details, but the scattered parts have finally become a full fledged song. Turns out I already had all the right pieces…they just needed a little rearranging.